You can find several tutorials on the web already, but I’m sorry to say……they kind of suck. They will tell you that you only need a glue gun and some spray-paint and you’re good to go. I promise you that you will regret it.
Nooo….. you do need more than just a glue gun and some spray-paint
This is what you have to do if your are planning on gluing plastic animals on the lids:
- Sand the lids lightly
- Wash the lids using basic cleaner
- Sand the bottom of the animals feet and be thorough. The greater the contact area is between animal and lid, the better the glue will do its job.
- Clean the animals with a toothbrush and basic cleaner.
- Remember: After cleaning don’t touch lids or animals before your are completely finished with the project. Any grease will make sure the paint doesn’t stay in its place. Wear clean rubber gloves.
- Glue the animal on the lid using super glue (cyanoacrylate seems to work well) – not an ordinary glue gun.
- Spray on a base coat of primer – otherwise your paint may slide right of
- Spray-painting several thin coats with dry time (about 15 min) in between will give a nice result. Raise the lid above surface of the table so it doesn’t stick.
If you are attaching knobs just do step 1-2, 7-8. Use a drill to punch through the lid and saw of the excess knob screw with a hacksaw.
Remember to spray with the bottle upside down (outside) in between each coat so it dosn’t clog.
I’m using these jars for toys and dog treats.